Requirements for Service with FMI
Foursquare Missions is looking for people that clearly know the voice of the Lord and walk in daily obedience to His Word. What are the things that you can do to help prepare for the field prior to or while actually applying as missionaries? What are some of the prerequisites that Foursquare Missions International is looking for in applicants?
- The Perspectives course: Beginning in 2012, all applicants are required to complete the Perspectives course as a foundation for missions training. Perspectives is offered at over 200 locations nationwide or online at www.perspectives.org. The course is offered in several different time structures including a 15 week course and intensives. For further information, check the website listed above.The Perspectives course is offered in most locations at three levels – Key Reading level, Certificate level and for college credit. While FMI will accept the completion of the Key Reading level, we would highly recommend the Certificate or college credit level. The cost of the Perspectives course varies from location to location and cost also depends on the level of study taken. The costs usually run about $190 – $500 per person. Some locations offer discounts for early bird enrollment or for a second person in the same family.
- Multi-cultural experience: Those desiring to go abroad to minister should have experience in the local community where they live. Most U.S. communities provide opportunities to work with other cultures. Being involved in cross-cultural ministry at home can provide a wealth of experience for the mission field.
- Team Experience: It is important for applicants to have a passport and to have made at least two mission trips outside of the US. FMI will be asking for positive feedback from the team leader as a part of the application process. Trips of this type can be accomplished by your church sending a team or signing up to go with an already established team. Use our Contact Us Form and select “Go Short Term” to let us know what you are interested in and to coordinate next steps with FMI staff.
- Language learning: If a person has a strong desire or call to go to a particular country or language group, Foursquare Missions recommends that language learning begin immediately. Language learning can be very time consuming. When missionaries already know the language prior to going to the field, it allows them to understand the culture (learned through language study) and to be able to begin to minister effectively immediately.
- Biblical/Theological understanding: Regardless of the job description, a missionary may be asked to speak and to lead Bible studies. It is imperative that even those going in support roles as administrative assistants or building contractors have completed at least a basic discipleship course. Bible institute or a Bible College education as well as church planting experience in the US is required for those desiring to plant churches (some exceptions may apply).
Some may ask, why should I go with FMI rather than just going on my own? Foursquare Missions has a wealth of history and relationships with national leaders around the world. Probably the greatest thing that we can provide is a bridge to the countries where people desire to serve. Our desire is for our Foursquare missionaries to arrive on the field having already built a relationship through FMI with the national church leaders, having a job description that is clearly outlined, and having as much training as possible to make them as successful as possible.
For more information about applying as a Foursquare missionary use our Contact Us Form and select “Go Long Term” to let us know what you are interested in and to coordinate next steps with FMI staff. You can also call 213.989.4321 for long term deployment information.