History and Background
The Foursquare Church, officially named the International Church of the Foursquare Gospel, is a Pentecostal denomination that resulted from the dynamic evangelistic ministry of Aimee Semple McPherson, who opened the historic Angelus Temple on Jan. 1, 1923.
The launch into foreign ministry fields also began in the 1920s. In 1927 Sister Aimee (below) commissioned Vincente and Teodora DeFante as missionaries to the Philippines. Foursquare is still alive and well in the Philippines, which has a very strong national church presence. A former missionary herself, our founder’s desire to go around the world with the Foursquare Gospel led to The Foursquare Church’s being known as a missionary movement. At this time we have approximately 100 missionaries and families, approximately 250 individuals, deployed throughout the world. From our earliest days, foreign missions was a primary emphasis—and remains so today.
Aimee Semple McPherson went on her first overseas missions trip in 1910 at the age of 19. The Foursquare Church, the global ministry she started in the 1920’s, has been built on a strong foundation of missions work since the very beginning. Today, Foursquare has expanded into 140 countries. We currently have 100 Foursquare missionaries and missionary families living around the world. Some have views of beautiful beaches or high-rise buildings; others are surrounded by immense poverty and may not even have electricity.